Monday, June 15, 2009

The new me

Over the years I've learned one thing about myself, getting pregnant takes a huge toll on my body.  With both pregnancies I've had I gain over 50 pounds and its all in the last few months of being pregnant.  And it takes me almost 2 years to lose it all.  Well after seeing photos of how I looked at my BIL's wedding I was shocked.  I know I'm a little on the fat side, I've felt unhealthy for a while now, but seeing how I looked 2 months ago was the last straw.  During Jay's last underway, he's been home for almost 2 weeks, I decided instead of just saying "I'm going to change" to actually do something.  I cleaned out our cupboards of all the junk food (minus our Gradelli brownies) and bought all sorts of healthy foods.  One of the foods I found was Fiber One granola bars and muffin mixes (I have the cereal too, but I have yet to try that).  I love them!  They are super good and one muffin or granola bar is all I can eat at a time.  I changed my eating habits entirely over the last week.  My kids about died, Kaden especially, when we didn't get chips or soda or cookies when we went shopping.
And then this morning I started round 2 of changing my lifestyle.  I wake up at 5 am, even when Jay is not here to have the alarm set, naturally and usually I go crash for 3 more hours on the couch while watching the news.  Not this morning.  I got up made the Fiber One muffins for myself and blueberry ones for the kids and while they cooled I exercised on my eliptical for a solid 30 min!  I have it programed for my weightloss and of recient I would only do 10 min and quit saying that I couldn't do it.  Not so this morning.  I managed in that 30 min workout to burn 150 calories which is a huge acomplishment for me.  Normally I'll only bury 80-90 calories in that time. 
And I got all this done, and showered and ready for the day before my kids were even up!  I am so pleased with the changes I am making in my life not only to lose weight, but to get healthy.  I'm not doing some crazy diet I'm changing my entire lifestyle.  My goal is to be back to my original weight before the pregancies, by the time Jay gets home from his upcoming deployment.  I have 6 months to lose 27 pounds and it is something I know I can do.  I've set up short term goals and a reward system for metting those goals.  I'll keep ya all posted and with pictures of my progress as time goes on.  For now, I've got to keep working on my house and getting ready for Jay's leave that starts up next Monday!

1 comment:

Julie and Carlos said...

Great Job Michelle - 27lbs in 6 months is a good attainable goal. Just keep yourself on track - it's easy to start getting burned out in the first few weeks. Consistency is key. Keep it up.