Monday, August 1, 2011

Almost over

Jay has been gone on a underway for almost a month now.  It has not been fun for either one of us.  On his side he got put on nights for being qualified (all sailors are required to be qualified in certian areas and he is literally the only one who was fully qualified) and dependable (ie: he can do his work without needing to be babysat by his Chief).  This, while not something either he or I liked, would have been fine if the dingbats (I've got meaner names for those he works with, but trying to be nice) he works with would have A: let him sleep during the day (hense working on nights) and B: gotten to eat more than one meal a day.  But as we were both aware things in this command are not known for going smoothly.  He was constantly woken up because they needed his help with one thing or another, or in today's case he's still awake (it's 3pm and he's supposed to be awake in about 4 hours) doing work because the guys he works with are just that lazy.

As for the eating, yeah I would have a very hard time stomaching this ship's version of food: partially frozen veggies, semi warm food in general.  So he's lost a lot of weight while being gone.  On the homefront things have not gone smoothly.  We had a great visit from my mom and after she left the kids pulled out all the stops on what they are capable of doing to drive me personally crazy.  Annabelle has used marker all over Kaden's walls and perminant marker on the stair walls.  Kaden's developed a mouth, anyone who knew me as a kid knows where he got that from (sorry it's the white family genetics), and just overall not wanted to listen.  It's also been HOT.  While I may originally be from Ut, you add those summer temps with humidity and it's another story.  I've been miserable.  I've had swelling almost since day one of this pregnancy, but when you add the insane temps with humidity the swelling got beyond bad.  It became very painful to even walk, let alone just keep my feet up. 

Well this underway is almost over.  We had an original date for him to come home, which was a day after the ship pulls in since that particular day is his duty day, and then this morning things had a chance of changing.  Jay'd called to personally apologize for not sending me any e-mails in over 24 hours (a time frame to keep me from going nuts, after 24 hours I can start to worry).  He told me at that time that there was a rumor that they might come in earlier than planned, I responded with I'll wait to believe that one until it's official.  Things changed in a matter of hours.  The kids and I went out and got groceries and got back at which time I sent him an e-mail letting him know how I much fruit we just got (overloaded on the fruit is typical in this house).  An hour later when he should be asleep he writes me to tell me that he's still awake (and he's got to be up in 4 hours for his normal shift of work).  THen he sends me another one telling me that rumor is now officially the real thing.  THey are coming home earlier than planned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Right after that e-mail I get one begging for food, yeah they are trying to kill him is what it seems like.  But the end is in sight.  Now we just have to get through INSERV and the 3M assessment (his big thing with his job) and things will start to seem sane again, or at least until the deployment hits (sometime next year).

No comments: