OPSEC, OPSEC ......
Why do we always hear about OPSEC?"
Operational Security is incredibly important. It is why we are not supposed
to give dates out over the phone or in e-mails. It is why we encourage
everyone to call the Careline for information.
We, as Navy spouses, parents, siblings, children, and other family members
need to carefully monitor and secure information we receive and understand
that having this information is a privilege, not a right. Most of us don't
think that telling a family member secure information is against the rules.
Most of us don't think that forwarding the information of advance notice on
port call dates and locations could be a hazard to our sailors. Most of us
don't realize that multiple OPSEC infractions incurred by sailors and/or
their families could cost all of us the privilege of consistent e-mails and
telephone calls…..
Well, it can!! The rules are clear - we DO NOT discuss ships movement,
dates, locations, or activities unless and until our Captain has told us it
is okay. We don't tell “Great Aunt Sally” because she doesn't know the
rules. We don't say it to each other over the phone, we don't tell people in
e-mails, we don't blog dates, times, or places, or post count downs on
FACEBOOK, or MySpace, and we take great care with the information we are
privileged to have.
When our neighbor asks "Where is your sailor now?" standard "I have
absolutely no idea, but wherever he/she is he/she is working very hard", “
Out in The Great Blue Sea", or "Out there doing his/her thing”. When Great
Aunt Sally's nurse says; "When are they getting home" we say "Later" or
"Sometime before Labor Day" or "Well, it could all change in a minute so we
don't really bank on anything". And, when your hairdresser says "when are
they leaving?" we say things like "Shortly" or "I don't like to talk about
it, it makes me cry" or "I was talking to mermaids the other day and they
said they were ready anytime now." It isn't silly. It isn't nonsense. It is
VITAL to ship's security. It is VITAL for the SAFETY of our sailors. Even
though your hairdresser, grocer, Great Aunt Sally, parents, best friend or
whomever might be perfectly safe and want to know only out of love, we do
not know and cannot guarantee that they won't choose to share the
information with someone who shouldn't know or who may then share it
inappropriately. We just don't know. So, we don't take the risk.
We keeps the ship's information close to our hearts and with closed mouths.
We refer family to the Careline. We encourage them to join the Ombudsman
Group, the FRG, and talk to their sailor. That's right, we really do have
the hard job, and we do it well. So, that is what OPSEC means to us, the
family and friends of the Warriors of the Mighty IKE. So learn it. Keep
this passage. Then when someone requested dates from you, you can tell them
about OPSEC. Thank you Mighty IKE Family and Friends For all Your Hard work
with OPSEC
So, go to the following link. Print it out. Learn it. Keep this e-mail. Then
when someone asks you for dates you can tell them about OpSec, forward the
e-mail, or send them to the link. If they love your sailor and want to work
with you for his or her safe return, they will stop asking for specfic’s and
learn to accept the generalities that are a part of our daily lives. The
link explains it in very easy to understand terms. I intend to print several
copies and mail them off to family and friends along with a personal note
asking them to please be understanding of the fact that until the
information is released by the CAPTAIN, I won't be able to discuss
specifics.
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/doe/opsec_primer.htm
Please, please, please help me to keep everyone on the ship and here at home safe by not asking any questions that we can't answer. I wont be addressing these issues again, however if there are continued violations by family or friends asking us questions that we can't/won't answer there will be a loss of contact with us for a time. We take these rules VERY seriously.
2 comments:
I'm not sure who keeps asking you, but whomever it is has to be a complete and utter moron!! But I would have bet it's a family member. Sometimes I wish I could say I was going away and not say where I was going and when I was coming back, LOL!!!
Thank you for sharing this Michelle. I'm sure your family (and friends) appreciate and will wisely use this new-found knowledge.
Post a Comment